Deputy Clerk I
The Circuit Court seeks an individual to perform responsible public service work in the Circuit Court Clerk’s Office administering oaths and conducting routine transactions on behalf of the Clerk.
• Provide first point of customer service to the public by responding to routine requests for information; greet and assist public in locating public records.
• Receive civil filings; prepare summons and subpoenas; attend court for civil and VDOT cases; identify evidence as exhibits by affixing proper tags; receive adoptions maintaining separate order book, scanning case files, and indexes; send orders to required persons; file judgments and related documents including confession of judgments and State and Federal tax liens; prepare abstracts of judgments and issues writs of fieri facias.
• Process paperwork for Conservators of the Peace; scan to Supreme Court optical disk system instruments recorded such as deeds, deeds of trust, assignments, certificates of satisfaction and easements.
• Process military discharges, concealed handgun permits, and certificates of assumed names of businesses; and, issue marriage licenses.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; some experience in administrative work; some experience in public sector preferred.
• Some knowledge of the Circuit Court system and its operations.
• Knowledge of internet and software applications including Microsoft Office products; principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction. Ability to communicate effectively and tactfully with public, members of the legal profession, law enforcement agencies, and fellow workers.
• Ability to read and understand legal documents and follow oral and written instructions; and, appropriately handle sensitive information and maintain confidentiality.
Accepting applications until 11:59pm EST on 01/18/2019. Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov