Competitive Salary DOQ + Partial County Benefits. Part-time position available.
Olde Towne Medical and Dental Center (OTMDC) is seeking individual to perform responsible work providing dental assistance service and care to patients in a primary care dental center.
• Performs scalings, root planning and polishes natural and restored teeth using hand instruments, rotary instruments, prophy jets and ultrasonic devices; applies sealants.
• Performs an original or clinical examination of teeth and surrounding tissues; performs subgingival irrigation or subgingival application of Schedule VI medicinal agents in accordance with the Code of Virginia.
• Assists with placement and removal of elastic orthodontic separators; educates patients on proper handling and care of orthodontic materials; and educates patients in placement and removal of retainers and appliances after fitting.
• May serve as chairside assistant aiding the dentist’s treatment by concurrently performing supporting actions during routine and surgical procedures.
• Assists in the development of clinical quality improvement (CQI) activities and clinical protocols and procedures.
• Plans and provides patient education and case management to ensure patient compliance with the plan of treatment; teaches dental health promotion, disease prevention and personal responsibility for care.
• Staffs County shelters during emergencies and emergency situations.
• Any combination of education or experience equivalent to a high school diploma and some experience in general clerical work or one year in a medical or dental setting; experience as dental assistant preferred.
• Must be licensed in the State of Virginia as Dental Hygienist.
• Must possess or obtain CPR certification within six weeks of employment.
• Knowledge of dental health principles and practices, wellness concepts and community resources.
• Ability to work independently, and as a team member under pressure in a fast-paced clinic setting; establish and maintain effective working relationships with dentist, other co-workers, volunteers and the public; work and communicate effectively with persons of various multicultural and socioeconomic and educational backgrounds; effectively communicate both orally and in writing
Only online applications to our website will be considered. To apply, please visit the James City County Career Center at https://jobs.jamescitycountyva.gov