Delinquent Tax Collector I/II
James City County Treasurer’s Office seeks an individual to perform experienced work coordinating and administering various tax inventories and collection reports and processes. There are two levels of Delinquent Tax Collector distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee.
Delinquent Tax Collector I: $33,324 / year or higher DOQ
Delinquent Tax Collector II: $35,832 / year or higher DOQ
• Administer an aggressive delinquent tax collection program.
• Perform extensive research on major public and private databases.
• Determine and implement accurate course of delinquent action, to include but not limited to: filing employer and bank liens, issuing Summons to Appear and assessing DMV Stops and filing claims to withhold tax returns.
• Administer Vehicle Withholding Program with Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles and Set-Off Debt program with Virginia Department of Taxation.
• Administer payment agreements/confessions of judgments with taxpayers for delinquencies ensuring compliance with payment requirements.
• Maintain bankruptcy files to include notices, filing Proofs of Claims and processing payments as received from bankruptcy attorneys.
• Represent the Treasurer and the County in both General District and Circuit Courts in cases of judgments and embezzlement.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an Associate’s degree in accounting; some technical accounting experience; in delinquent collections which includes bankruptcy and tax collections; understanding and administration of the Code of Virginia.
• (Delinquent Tax Collector II Only): Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an Associate’s degree in accounting; considerable technical accounting experience in delinquent collections which includes bankruptcy and tax collections; must possess Treasurers’ Association of Virginia Certification as a Master Governmental Deputy Treasurer.
• Considerable knowledge of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite; must have ability to quickly learn new software as needed.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.