Customer Service Representative (Williamsburg Area Transit Authority)
• Provides strong customer service to the public and internal customers, in-person and over the telephone; provides information, responds to questions, comments, paratransit scheduling requests and complaints regarding WATA Services via phone and in person; and directs customers as required.
• Opens and/or closes the WATA Customer Service Center and Store; maintains the cleanliness of the facility including but not limited to emptying trash cans and cleaning the main and break area.
• Utilizes and monitors radio for dispatch messages and calls for service.
• Responsible for the sale of bus tickets and issues passes in accordance with established procedures; accepts fees and maintains appropriate records.
• Reconciles daily fare collection and maintains related paperwork and system files.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; some work experience which shall have involved assisting the public, handling money, customer service and/or sales.
• Must possess reliable transportation to work site(s).
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services; knowledge of concepts related to public and independent transit travel; including those with physical and mental issues; knowledge of fixed route public transportation services.
• Skill in use of computer software including Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to communicate with the public and coworkers in an effective professional, and courteous manner at all times; explain fares, the transit system and policies in an effective manner; operate a cash register, credit card machines, general office equipment, computers, fare equipment and other systems as required to accomplish the work assigned; handle money and maintain related fiscal records; independently apply and carry out policies and procedures within assigned area of responsibility; make mathematical
computations with accuracy; follow verbal and written instructions; make independent decision in accordance with established policies and procedures.