Customer Service Representative
The Williamsburg Area Transit Authority (WATA) seeks an individual to perform responsible administrative and customer service-related work in support of transit operations.
• Provide strong customer service to the public and internal customers, in-person and over the telephone; provide information, responds to questions, comments, paratransit scheduling requests and complaints regarding WATA Services via phone and in person; and direct customers as required.
• Open and/or close the WATA Customer Service Center and Store; maintain the cleanliness of the facility including but not limited to emptying trash cans and cleaning the main and break area.
• Utilize and monitor radio and dispatches messages and calls for service.
• Responsible for the sale of bus tickets and issues passes in accordance with established procedures; accepts fees and maintains appropriate records.
• Reconcile daily fare collection and maintain related paperwork and system files.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; some work experience which shall have involved assisting the public, handling money, customer service, and/or sales.
• Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services; knowledge of concepts related to public and independent transit travel; including those with physical and mental issues; knowledge of fixed route public transportation services.
• Ability to communicate with the public and coworkers in an effective professional, and courteous manner at all times; explain fares, the transit system, and policies in an effective manner; operate a cash register, credit card machines, general office equipment, computers, fare equipment, and other systems as required to accomplish the work assigned; handle money and maintain related fiscal records; independently apply and carry out policies and procedures within assigned area of responsibility; make mathematical computations with accuracy; follow verbal and written instructions.
• Ability to make independent decision in accordance with established policies and procedures.