Custodian I (Part-time)
$11.15 / hour + Partial County Benefits; Part-Time Regular position available (20 hours / week).
James City County’s Facilities Maintenance division is seeking an individual to perform responsible custodial and manual work in the care and cleaning of County facilities, buildings, and grounds. There are two levels of Custodian distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee. Must be available to work weekend and evening shifts.
• Performs routine cleaning tasks such as dusting or polishing chairs, desks, tables, shelves, and other furniture; washes windows, woodwork and walls; gathers and disposes of trash; vacuums, sweeps and mops floors.
• Cleans restrooms and restocks supplies.
• Closes and locks buildings after late meetings; sets up and breaks down equipment for meetings, classes and special events.
• This job is considered essential personnel and will be required to work during and following natural disasters and emergency situations.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma.
• Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of cleaning methods, materials and equipment to include the operation of vacuums; principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Skill in developing and maintaining cooperative and professional relationships with employees and the public; effectively responding to routine inquiries and disputes.
• Ability to use equipment and cleaning materials efficiently and economically; use logic and reasoning to understand, analyze, and evaluate situations and exercise good judgment to make appropriate decisions; listen and understand directions, information and ideas presented verbally or in writing.