• Provides legal representation and counsel to the Board of Supervisors, School Board, County and School Officials, and department and Constitutional Officers.
• Provides oral and written opinions on legal matters as requested by clients.
• Represents clients of the Office in litigation, including appeals, in state and federal courts.
• Represents clients of the office before administrative agencies and tribunals, such as the Virginia Employment Commission.
• Prepares or reviews legal documents required for County business.
• Advises on the purchase, sale, exchange or leasing of properties and prepares or reviews associated documents.
• Attends meetings of the Board of Supervisors and other boards, commissions, and authorities.
• Prepares or approves County ordinances and initiates civil actions necessary to enforce ordinances in court.
• Prepares and supports proposed legislation in the General Assembly and advocates for or against other legislation affecting the County or local governments generally; communicates as necessary with the County’s congressional delegation.
• Supervises the work of the County Attorney’s office and of outside legal counsel.
• Performs other related work, as required.