Alleghany County is seeking an experienced professional to serve as County Administrator, the chief administrative officer responsible for directing programs and operations of the County government.
Qualifications, Education & Experience
• A bachelor’s degree in Public Administration, Business Management, Planning, or a related field; a master’s degree would be a plus.
• At least three (3) years of successful leadership in the administration of local government in a comparable organization; possessing a broad skill set appropriate to the breadth of County government operations. An understanding and appreciation for rural communities and their culture would be beneficial. Local government experience in Virginia as a manager, deputy, assistant, or department head is preferred.
• Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practice of public administration, local government finance, public works, emergency services, parks and recreation, and the statutory authority and requirements of county government.
• A demonstrated commitment to ongoing professional development through participation in organizations such as the International City/County Management Association (ICMA) and the Virginia Local Government Management Association (VLGMA).
• Any combination of education and experience that qualifies an applicant may be considered in lieu of the more specific criteria listed above.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit a cover letter and resume, with salary expectations and professional references, to The Berkley Group via email at email@example.com. While the position is open until filled, the formal review of applicants will begin August 20, 2021. Inquiries relating to the County Administrator position may be directed to:
The Berkley Group
P.O. Box 181
Bridgewater, Virginia 22812
Mobile: (434) 444-3662