Convenience Center Attendant II
James City County’s General Services Department seeks an individual to perform responsible work operating one or more of the County’s Convenience Centers for disposal of residential refuse and recyclables.
• Cleans Convenience Centers; collects refuse placed on ground; sweeps area and picks up litter.
• Provides customer service to citizens; collects fees, informs citizens of County’s recycling requirements; monitors compliance before disposal.
• Ensures various materials accepted by Centers (glass containers, aluminum cans, plastics, mixed paper, cardboard and trash) are placed in proper collection containers.
• Estimates size of trash loads and collects the appropriate number of coupons or credit/debit card via electronic payment device for charges required for disposal.
• Maintains daily records of the number of residents using the center and the amount of convenience center coupons collected.
• Operates solid waste equipment including stationary compactor, and pick-up truck.
• This job is considered essential personnel and will be required to work during and following natural disasters and emergency
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; some experience operating heavy equipment such as excavator, knuckle boom, pay loader, roll off truck or similar types of equipment preferred.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Ability to understand instructions and work independently.
• Ability courteously and effectively communicate with public including enforcing regulations.