Convenience Center Attendant I/II
James City County Solid Waste Division is seeking an individual to perform responsible work operating one or more of the County’s Convenience Centers for disposal of residential refuse and recyclables.
• Clean Convenience Centers; collect refuse placed on ground; sweep area and pick up litter.
• Ensure various materials accepted by Centers (glass containers, aluminum cans, plastics, mixed paper, cardboard and trash) are placed in proper collection containers.
• Operate solid waste equipment including stationary compactor, and pick-up truck.
• Inform citizens of County’s mandatory recycling requirement to separate recyclables from refuse before disposal at Convenience Centers; monitor compliance before disposal.
• Estimate size of loads of trash and accepts the appropriate number of coupons or credit/debit card charges required for disposal.
• Maintain daily records of the number of residents using the center and the amount of convenience center coupons collected.
• This job is considered essential personnel and will be required to work during and following natural disasters and emergency situations.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma preferred.
• Must possess or be able to obtain within thirty (30 days) of hire a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Minimum of six months as a Convenience Center Attendant I or equivalent experience
• Completion of a heavy equipment certification class; through combined training with other County departments.
• Must possess a valid Class B Virginia Commercial driver’s license.
• Minimum of forty hours on the job training; to safely and proficiently operate, identify and repair minor mechanical issues and perform routine maintenance on solid waste equipment, pay loader and excavator.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with County staff and the public; courteously and effectively communicate with public and enforce regulations.
• Ability to train and lead the work of others.