Communications Specialist I
SUMMARY: Performs routine technical work on an assigned shift dispatching police and fire equipment and personnel, usually in response to emergency situations; does related work as required. Work is performed under immediate supervision.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily and maintain attendance record acceptable to the City of Winchester. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individual with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Other duties may also be assigned.
• Receives requests for calls for Police, Fire and Rescue assistance, emergency and non-emergency, determines nature of the call, the location of the call and dispatches the appropriate personnel and equipment;
• Provides pre-arrival instructions for Fire and Rescue medical calls;
• Operates Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) and other computer systems that entail the handling of confidential information;
• Dispatches other City department personnel and equipment as requested for the City Public Works Department, Utilities Department, Social Services and Magistrates;
• Monitors teletype traffic, sends teletype messages, and maintains the required logs;
• Answers incoming non-emergency phone lines for transfer within the department;
• Performs various data entry duties.
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Some knowledge of the methods of operating the communication systems. Some knowledge of radio terminology system and teletype procedures. Some knowledge of the geography of the City and County and location of major landmarks. Ability to operate all communication consoles and computer terminals. Ability to communicate with coworkers and the public under stressful conditions.
NOTE: This classification specification is not intended to be all-inclusive. An employee will also perform other reasonably-related job responsibilities as assigned and required by management. City of Winchester reserves the right to revise or change job duties as the need arises. Moreover, management reserves the right to change job descriptions, job duties or working schedules based on their duty to accommodate individuals with disabilities. This classification specification does not constitute a written contract of employment.