code inspector – building (i, ii, iii or iv)
the code inspector – building (i, ii, iii or iv) are part of a career ladder with increasing responsibilities. as a code inspector i, you will perform entry-level code inspection related work.
as a building code inspector i, the selected candidate will perform entry-level commercial and residential building construction code inspection related work; and as a code inspector ii, iii and iv, the candidate will perform developmental and advanced level code inspection work where the incumbent begins to apply basic code inspection related principles and techniques. you will have the opportunity to learn about our community by working in the field. this position is part of a career ladder.
• performs code inspection in accordance with the usbc;
• assists other staff by researching specific provisions of codes, ordinances, and related city policies;
• assists in the development of technical training concerning applicable codes, ordinances, policies, and regulatory requirements;
• reviews construction documents with contractors, homeowners, architects, and engineers regarding the requirements of the usbc, related construction practices, industry, and maintenance standards;
• conducts research, as needed, and evaluates equipment, materials, and construction assemblies for compliance with usbc requirements;
• reviews and approves third party and special inspection quality control reports in compliance with the usbc and the city of alexandria special inspections program;
• addresses complaints, communicates abatement action, and provides required follow up;
• identifies and documents illegal construction and prepares violation notification and corrective direction;
• operates and maintains a city vehicle and all other issued equipment;
• attends training to maintain continuous education and certification requirements as required by the virginia department of housing and community development and the department of code administration;
• maintains a current knowledge of city and department policies, procedures and guidelines;
• attends meetings and testifies in court, as required.