• Plans and provides patient education and case management to ensure patient compliance with the plan of treatment; teaches health promotion, disease prevention and personal responsibility for care; performs home visits as appropriate.
• Administers routine laboratory tests, medications, immunizations, and treatments according to nurse practitioners and physician’s orders; assists nurse practitioners and physicians with exams.
• Plans, coordinates, monitors, and implements the activities of patient care and flow to ensure the smooth delivery of care on a day to-day basis; may coordinate and supervise the day-to-day work of other clinic and volunteer staff as it relates to assigned patients.
• Assists in the development of clinical quality improvement (CQI) activities and clinical protocols and procedures.
• Staffs County shelters during emergencies and emergency situations.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Virginia licensed Registered Nurse, Virginia licensed practical nurse (LPN), or Virginia licensed Medical Assistant, Virginia Board Certified or eligible; and some public health/clinic experience and/or ambulatory primary care clinic experience preferred.
• Must possess reliable transportation to work site(s).
• Must possess or be able to obtain cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification within six (6) weeks of employment.
• Knowledge of public health nursing principles and practices, wellness concepts and community resources.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to work independently, and as a team member under pressure in a fast-paced clinic setting; establish and maintain effective working relationships with physicians, nurse practitioners, other co-workers, volunteers and the public; work and communicate effectively with persons of various multicultural and socioeconomic and educational backgrounds; provide nursing care using the nursing process; effectively communicate both orally and in writing.