Civil Engineer II/III – Stormwater & Resource Protection Division
James City County Stormwater and Resource Protection Division (VSMP Authority) is seeking a Civil Engineer II or III to perform experienced professional work involving the engineering and plan of development review functions associated with the County’s Erosion and Sediment Control, Stormwater Management Program, and Chesapeake Bay Preservation Ordinances.
The Level and salary are dependent on certifications and qualifications at time of hire.
Civil Engineer II – $59,545 – $77,408 / year DOQ
Civil Engineer III – $64,027 -$83,235 / year DOQ
• Perform thorough plan of development reviews to include drainage standards, floodplain, erosion and sediment control, stormwater management, pollution prevention, and construction standards.
• Represent Division at project meetings and communicate with the development community regarding project issues.
• Manage plan of development case reviews under supervision of Division Chief Civil Engineer.
• Provide technical assistance to inspection and planning staff on construction and ordinance related issues.
• Carry out final construction inspection of stormwater management facilities and storm conveyance systems.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in civil engineering or related environmental field preferred.
• Considerable (typically 4 or more years) related experience, municipal experience preferred.
• Engineer-In-Training (EIT) certification (CE II) or registered Virginia Professional Engineer (CE III) required.
• DEQ Stormwater Plan Reviewer and Erosion and Sediment Control Plan Reviewer certifications required.
• DEQ Stormwater Inspector and Erosion and Sediment Control Inspector certifications preferred.
• Knowledge of and experience with local and state drainage, erosion and sediment control, stormwater management (VSMP), pollution prevention and Chesapeake Bay Preservation regulations.
• Demonstrated ability to perform project/case management.