Application Deadline: Open Until Filled
The hiring salary will be between $150,000 and $196,849.35 annually, dependent on education and experience. The City offers an excellent benefits program Reasonable relocation assistance will be available. To view a downloadable brochure about our Community, City Government, and the position, visit our employment page listed. Please include with your online application a cover letter, resume, and at least 5 professional references.
The City of Charlottesville, Virginia is seeking a well-rounded, innovative, strategic, and responsive professional to provide general legal counsel to a full service municipality. As City Attorney, major areas of responsibilities include litigation, contracts, real estate, land use, Environmental, tort, taxation, collections, employment, civil rights, and administrative law. The position provides functional supervision for legal action involving the City, the interpretation and application of laws and ordinances affecting the City, and the preparation of legal documents and legal opinions for the City of Charlottesville. The City Attorney is the legal counsel to the City Council, the City Manager, and other city officials. The City Attorney receives general supervision and direction from the City Manager and serves at the pleasure of the City Manager.
– Graduation from an accredited law school of recognized standing with a juris doctorate.
– Requires a minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in the practice of law.
– Must have a minimum of four years of management and supervisory experience.
Must be licensed to practice law in the Commonwealth of Virginia and must have the ability to maintain membership as a condition of continued employment.
– Must possess and maintain a valid Virginia State Driver License and a driving record acceptable to the City and the City’s insurance carrier OR must be able to provide own transportation to and from job, meetings, and related job sites.
– Must pass a thorough background investigation, credit and reference checks. The City reserves the right to further require a Social Media background check.
– Must maintain a level of physical and mental fitness necessary to perform the essential functions of the position.
The City of Charlottesville is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Values Diversity at All Levels of its Workforce.