The City of Hampton is searching for our next City Assessor. The successful candidate will plan, administer, and direct assessment activities for commercial, industrial, and residential real estate property for tax purposes and is responsible for the administration of the city-wide real estate property appraisal system. The City Assessor manages a department of 17 full-time employees with an FY21 annual budget of $1.2M and promotes collaborative and innovative procedures, processes and solutions for the department.
• Plans and develops procedures for assessing real estate.
• Compiles annual schedule of values by extracting data from various market indicators.
• Prepares the annual Land Book for use by the City Treasurer in Real Property taxation.
• Provides direct supervision over the commercial assessment process.
• Re-evaluates contested appraisals and prepares reports to support the City’s position during Board of Review and court cases.
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Real Estate, Business Administrator, Public Administration. Master’s degree preferred.
• Six to nine years of progressively responsible experience in commercial, industrial, and residential property appraising, with five years of management or supervision.
• Comprehensive knowledge of building constriction practices and of building and land values.
• Extensive knowledge of CAMA systems (Pro-Val preferred), GIS and other tax-related software.
• Virginia Certified General Appraisal License and in good standing with the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulations (or have the ability to gain reciprocity from another state within 1 month of hire).
• Designation as CAE from the International Association of Assessing Officers is preferred.
• Certification as an Expert Witness in regard to real estate valuation in the Commonwealth of Virginia is preferred.
The City of Hampton offers an attractive benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, paid holidays, annual and sick leave, personal leave and birthday leave. The successful candidate must reside within the City of Hampton within 12 months of date of hire. For additional information go to www.Hampton.gov.