Circulation Services Assistant
Williamsburg Regional Library seeks customer-focused, detail-oriented individual to support the activities of the Circulation Services Division. Varied schedule includes mornings, afternoons, evenings, and/or weekends. Job alternates between James City County Library and Williamsburg Library.
• Customer Service Responsibilities: Provides public service at the circulation desk performing all related tasks; answers account and directional questions; refers questions to appropriate person or division; operates cash register; transfers funds from register to safe; and, reconciles daily receipts.
• Technology-Related Responsibilities: Uses integrated library system to lend out library materials; processes user records; determines material status; locates resources within the system and arranges for transfer of materials; places items on reserve; registers new users; learns new computer procedures for upgrades and software releases in a timely manner; runs computer reports as required.
• Communication Skills Needed: Verifies and sends overdue notices; receives and records overdue fines; sends related correspondence as needed; processes lost/damaged library materials to technical services; resolves user records and problem files; processes user refunds.
• Administrative and Operational Responsibilities: Assists with opening and closing the library; checks in, sorts and shelves library materials as needed; may schedule and supervise circulation services volunteers.
• Other Duties as Assigned: May participate in library-wide committees, projects or attend staff development programs, workshops or conferences.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree; some library or bookstore experience; cash handling experience preferred.
• Must possess or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire a valid Virginia Driver’s License and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction; personal computer operations.
• Skill in excellent written and verbal communication; and use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers and the public.
• Type and file accurately; independently organize work, set priorities, use time effectively