Chief of Benefits Program
James City County Social Services Department seeks an individual to perform advanced work planning, overseeing, directing and supervising determination processes for the Department of Social Services’ Benefit Programs, to include SNAP, Medicaid, TANF, Childcare, Energy Assistance and Fraud.
• Provides effective supervision of assigned staff including selection, performance management, employee relations, training, prioritizing and assigning work and related activities.
• Informs Director of Social Services of all critical cases, decisions and situations pertaining to Benefit Programs; prepares special reports for supervisor and manager meetings, and for the James City County Department of Social Services Advisory Board as needed.
• Coordinates with Commonwealth Attorney’s Office staff and the James City County Police Department for Benefit Program fraud cases and completes the annual State fraud plan.
• Serves as liaison to County departments, citizen groups, state/local government staff and professional groups; attends public speaking engagements.
• Ensures compliance with Federal and State policy for Benefit Programs by preparing and implementing internal operating policy and procedures for the agency; completes state plans for Benefit Programs such as Fraud, Childcare, and Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (D-SNAP), as required.
• Evaluates local Benefit program operations and effectiveness; makes recommendations and implements changes to local policy to ensure compliance; resolves difficult or complex program policy questions; provides training to staff as needed to ensure compliance.
• Monitors monthly caseload reports to ensure workload equity among workers and between units; uses available data sources to evaluate caseloads, identify trends and recommends improvements to operational procedures as needed.