Certified Police Officer
James City County Police Department is seeking Police Officer candidates that are currently law enforcement officers (BLE) certified by the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services. Join a proactive team dedicated to improving the quality of life in our community. James City County Police Department offers a number of opportunities for career development, specialized assignments and training including: honor guard, SWAT, bike patrol, school resource officers (5), uniform and marine patrols, underwater search & recovery, crisis negotiations, motorcycles, tactical field force, and investigations. The County offers competitive pay and excellent benefits, including a take-home car program for those living in or within 15 driving miles of the County; participation in Virginia Retirement System (LEOS); 11-paid holidays; tuition assistance; a homeownership program with up to $3,000 in matching closing costs; a free membership to the JCC Recreation Center (fitness, free weights, pool, track); and eligibility for career advancement pay increases.
• Must possess a current Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) Basic Law Enforcement (BLE) Certification
• Must be at least 21 years old and be a U.S. citizen
• Must meet all qualifications listed in Code of Virginia 15.2-1705,
• Must possess a high school diploma or GED (some college preferred)
• Must possess a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria
• Must not have been convicted of or plead guilty or no contest to:
– any felony
– any offense involving moral turpitude
– any misdemeanor sex offense
– domestic assault.
• Must not have produced a positive result on a pre-employment drug screening.
To be considered, all applicants should attach copies of educational certificate(s) or diploma(s) and military DD 214 (if applicable) to the application. All complete applications will be reviewed, to include driving record and criminal history checks related to the Police Department’s automatic disqualifiers. Selected applicants will continue to a panel interview. A thorough background investigation will be completed, to include: fingerprint-based criminal history check through CCRE and FBI, sex offender registry check, polygraph (lie detector), character and employment reference checks, credit history, psychological and fitness assessment, and medical exam with hearing and drug tests.