Business License Inspector
James City County’s Commissioner of Revenue department is seeking an individual to perform responsible work researching, collecting, and analyzing comprehensive information to assess various taxes for the County; determines compliance and maintains records and databases.
• Assesses local Business, Professional & Occupation License (BPOL) Tax using assessment application software and information from various sources including license applications, license returns, and income tax returns.
• Meets with new businesses to ensure complete license applications and review annual filing requirements.
• Reviews various information sources to ensure businesses are in compliance with statutes regarding issuance of local licenses, registrations, and certifications.
• Maintains accurate historical records for all license taxes assessed under local statutes.
• Establishes accounts for the assessment of locally assessed business taxes, including BPOL, Business Property, Machinery and Tools, Prepared Food and Beverage, and Transient Occupancy taxes.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an Associate’s degree in accounting, or business preferred; and considerable experience in the field of taxation, which shall have included experience with computerized accounting information systems.
• Must possess or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire a valid Virginia driver’s license and acceptable driving record based on James City County criteria.
• Knowledge of statutes, forms, and procedures related to the issuance of business licenses and the assessment of other local business taxes; various accounting and financial statements and income tax returns related to business income; general office practices and procedures; and, principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality; make decisions based on established policies and procedures; make accurate complex mathematical calculations; establish and maintain effective working relationships with the public and other staff members; interpret and apply statutes and policies to complex and non-routine questions and problems; and, implement requirements for the issuance of local business licenses.