Bus Driver (Full Time)
• Provides passengers with safe and efficient bus service; drives a passenger or paratransit bus; collects fares and passes; operates transit equipment and technology; serves as a driver on local government and public relations trips as required; assists elderly and handicapped passengers and operates wheelchair lift as needed.
• Provides information to passengers including bus schedules and routes and general County information; assists passengers in determining how to get to desired destination.
• Ensures passenger safety by enforcing rules of conduct and operation; checks bus for and reports lost items.
• Performs visual inspection and operational safety check of assigned vehicle daily; keeps alert for mechanical or other equipment problems requiring attention; reports repair needs; reports traffic hazards, accidents, and other conditions requiring attention.
• Completes daily report forms including mileage, passengers, mechanical defects and necessary supplies; delivers fare box to Operations Office for revenue accountability as required.
• Makes provision for routine daily maintenance and cleanliness of vehicles, bus shelters, and other WATA property as required.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma and some of experience operating a passenger bus.
• Must possess, or obtain within 90 days of hire, a valid Virginia Class B Commercial Driver’s License with passenger and air brakes endorsement and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of the operation and maintenance requirements of passenger buses or similar automotive equipment; traffic laws and regulations applicable to equipment operation; hazards of equipment operation and of appropriate safety precautions; some knowledge of the geography of the County; knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Skill in the operation of assigned equipment.
• Ability to operate assigned equipment in a safe manner and to adhere to time schedules; deal with the public in a courteous and tactful manner; follow oral and written instructions; establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.