Building Permit Technician & Program Assistant
The Building Permit Technician/Program Assistant reports directly to the Director of Community Development. This position is primarily responsible for greeting and providing direction to visitors to the department, triaging phone calls, data entry, processing building permits, and organizing pre-application meetings. Other responsibilities of this position include but are not limited to composing correspondence and assisting in all aspects of the permitting process.
Skills and Requirements:
• High School Diploma or GED
• Must be able to type/keyboard accurately and at a reasonable speed
• Skilled in the use of business English, spelling, and mathematics
• Excellent organizational skills
• General knowledge of standard office equipment and procedures
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Must be able to obtain specific state certifications required for a Permit Technician
The Town of Abingdon offers an excellent benefits package that includes medical and dental
annual leave, paid holidays, and Virginia State Retirement to Full-Time employees. The Town of
Abingdon is an equal opportunity employer.