Do you have background in the construction trades and have an interest in serving your community by keeping it safe and beautiful? Do you want to work in a vibrant Town that has excellent prospects for growth?
The Town of Farmville is accepting applications for the Building Official position. The successful applicant will perform responsible, difficult technical work enforcing the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and the Town Code regarding property maintenance. Work is often performed independently in an office setting and outdoors, interacting with wide variety of citizens and contractors, under the general supervision of the Director of Community Development. Requires a valid State of Virginia driver’s license and acceptable driving record, Building Official Certification, and Property Maintenance Inspector certifications, or can obtain those certifications within one year.
Typical duties include:
• Enforcing the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code.
• Enforcing the Town Code regarding property maintenance.
• Issuing building, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical permits.
• Maintaining files and records on all permits issued in accordance with the building code.
• Reviewing and approving all plans related to the building code.
• Providing technical assistance to boards, commissions and Town Council.
• Consulting with code violators to resolve problems and correct deficiencies.
• Preparing data for court and testify on ordinance and code violations.
• Responding to and investigating complaints pertaining to code violations.
• Overseeing the back-flow inspections program.
• Enforcing temporary sign violations, setting up asbestos inspections, and coordinating work to be completed by outside contractors.
Previous applicants need not re-apply, as they will be considered along with new candidates. Interested applicants are encouraged to complete the Town of Farmville Application for Employment.