Building Inspection & Permit Manager
Seeking applications for the following position:
PERMITS & INSPECTIONS MANAGER
Open Until Filled
Salary Range, Benefits and Classification
Negotiable based on experience. The Town of Dumfries offers a full range of employee benefits including, healthcare, retirement and training resources. This is an exempt level salaried position- not eligible for overtime under FLSA.
This position shall be responsible for managing the Town Permits and Inspections division. The selected candidate will be an experienced combination inspector and have demonstrated knowledge and experience administering the Virginia Uniform Statewide Building Code and property maintenance codes. This position will report to the Director of Public Works.
• Inspects single family dwelling and all commercial properties during all stages of construction and remodeling to ensure compliance with applicable building, electrical and plumbing/mechanical codes, ordinances and regulations; inspects commercial structures in one or more fields of expertise: electrical, building or plumbing/mechanical.
• Reviews building plans and inspects buildings in the process of construction, alteration, or repair for compliance with building, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical code requirements and for application of safe construction practices.
• Inspections Construction sites for compliance with erosion & sediment regulations.
• Authorizes issuance of permits for building, plumbing, electrical, and mechanical work
• Enforces planning and zoning regulations by inspecting new and existing buildings and premises for change of use or occupancy, or compliance with applicable codes, ordinances and/or conditions of approval.
• Serves on-call for emergency inspections of existing buildings for hazardous conditions, structural failures or improper uses
• Coordinates with architects, engineers, property owners, and developers in the review of construction documents, problem solving, and project feasibility
• Inspects and enforces local business and residential properties for property maintenance codes
• Maintains paper and electronic files and reports regarding inspection and plan check activities and findings.
• Provides recommendations to the Town Manager to enhance business operations
• Other duties as assigned
• High School Diploma or GED
• Three years of increasingly responsible structural building inspection experience or fi