Assistant Director, Utilities
Under the direct supervision of the Director of Public Works, the Assistant Director, Utilities will perform administrative and managerial functions associated with planning, organizing and directing of the Utilities Division. The position oversees and coordinates the daily operation, maintenance, and repair/construction of Town water and wastewater infrastructure, wastewater treatment facility (WWTF), and associated programs to ensure compliance with local, state and federal requirements. Responsible for providing the necessary supervision, technical guidance and direction to staff members and provides highly responsible and complex assistance to the Director of Public Works. Participates in all departmental safety functions and programs.
Education and experience
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Construction, Project Management or related field or equivalent education, training and experience
• A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the maintenance, operation, construction/repair of utilities infrastructure, wastewater treatment systems, and/or water distribution systems
• Prior experience supervising, planning, scheduling, and analyzing manpower, materials, and equipment requirements.
• Prior utility and/or public works administration experience with local or state government a plus
Licenses and certifications
• Valid Virginia driver’s license with the ability to meet and maintain Town insurability requirements
• Virginia Wastewater Operator’s License, Class I
• Virginia Waterworks Operator Class V
• VDOT Basic Work Zone and Flagging certification after hire
• CPR, AED, and First Aid certifications after hire
• May be required to obtain and maintain other certifications as deemed necessary