Assistant Director of Public Works – City of Bowie
THE CANDIDATE: The City of Bowie is seeking a proven and experienced professional to serve as its Assistant Director of Public Works. The successful candidate will have a background in public works operations, project management, and engineering. This individual will be a skilled problem solver with the ability to communicate effectively with employees at all levels of the organization, as well as City residents. This person will have the ability to effectively supervise others and achieving excellent performance.
The Assistant Director of Public Works will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering or a closely related field. A professional engineer’s license (PE) and/or Project Management Professional certification (PMP) are preferred. Additionally, the successful candidtate will have eight years experience in Public Works, Civil Engineering or Project Management related work. Must have extensive supervisory experience.
The successful applicant will also possess the following attributes:
Knowledge of civil engineering and construction principles, practices, and methods;
Demonstrated skill in resolving public work issues with contractors and citizens
Ability to provide strong and effective leadership to departmental staff and operation
Excellent project management skills
Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Reporting to the Director of Public Works, responsibilities of this position will include, but not be limited to:
• Directly supervising the engineering division, the Public Works inspectors, and the vehicle maintenance divisions within the Public Works Department.
• Implementing the design review, permitting, and inspection process for private development projects.
• Manage or supervise others in managing varied design and construction projects.
• Develop and oversee the development of construction documents, scopes of work, scopes of service and other requirements documents for contracting construction, maintenance and repair, and professional architect and engineering services.
• Implement inspection and maintenance procedures to ensure the City’s compliance with the Municipal Separate Storm Sewer System (Phase II) permit.
• Assist the Director in the management and administration of the Public Works Department.
• Serve in key incident managerial position (Continue at cityofbowie.org)