Assistant City Attorney
An entry-level to intermediate-level attorney that drafts, approves, and reviews legal documents; advises clients, performs legal assignments, and represents the City in court proceedings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties necessary to deliver services to customers and citizens may be assigned.
• Renders legal advice to all offices, departments, agencies, boards, and commissions of the City;
• Provides information to and answers inquiries of the general public;
• Interprets federal, state, and local laws and court decisions;
• Helps train departments and agencies of the City to understand and comply with laws;
• Represents the City before federal and state courts/agencies;
• Litigates Lynchburg Department of Social Services court cases and handles appeals;
• Drafts and/or approves the form of ordinances, resolutions, contracts, deeds, leases, releases, pleadings, discovery documentation, and other legal documents on behalf of the City;
• Litigates and negotiates the settlement of claims against and on behalf of the City;
• Assists in deciding major legal questions;
• Prosecutes violations of City ordinances where necessary;
• Prepares cases for trial, interviews witnesses, prepares and responds to discovery; examines law and evidence;
• Reviews legislation being considered, notifies offices, departments, and agencies of the City of possible legislative enactment, and advises the same after enactment to ensure compliance;
• Prepares formal legal opinions for all offices, departments, agencies, boards, and commissions of the City;
• Conducts and/or oversees title examinations, drafts, and/or executes title certificates, and handles closings; and
• Monitors and facilitates the judicial/nonjudicial sale of tax-delinquent real estate.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
• Performs other duties as required by the City Attorney.
• When unusual situations occur and/or the City Manager declares a State of Emergency, all City employees may be required to accept special assignments and perform as needed to ensure appropriate service delivery.
Assists in supervision of administrative personnel and the Legal Assistant.