Animal Control Officer
James City County’s Police Department seeks an individual to perform responsible animal control work enforcing local city, County and state animal protection and control laws and regulations.
• Enforces city, County and state laws pertaining to animal control, with primary emphasis on dog control; routinely patrols areas for violations of the leash control ordinance; picks up and impounds stray domestic animals; captures sick and injured small wildlife; issues warnings and summonses and provides relevant court testimony in the prosecution of violators.
• Investigate all animal bite reports.
• Investigates all animal complaints including those of uncontrolled animals and cruelty to animals; advises on legal resources or makes dispositions in accordance with findings and applicable resources; investigates claims resulting from damage cause by dogs to livestock and fowl.
• Responds to citizen inquiries; verifies licenses; files offense and incident reports and maintains service logs; reviews records to identify owners of impounded animals; shares on-call duty.
• Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a high school diploma; some experience in animal control work.
• Must possess, or be able to obtain within 30 days of hire, a valid Virginia driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based on James City County’s criteria.
• Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer service including setting and meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
• Knowledge of laws and ordinances governing animal protection and control; the care and characteristics of domestic animals; and hazards and safety practices involved in animal control and handling work.
• Skill in use of computer software, especially Microsoft Office Suite.
• Ability to think clearly and act quickly in emergency situations; prepare and maintain reports; and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public.