Administrative Assistant – Virginia Municipal League
Job Summary: The Virginia Municipal League is seeking a self-motivated professional able to apply standard office methods and procedures to effectively balance multiple priorities and differing work assignments to ensure quality results. This position supports VML staff in general, and the league’s Executive Director in particular, with tasks to include (but not limited to), scheduling, editing reports and documents, maintaining database accuracy, providing customer service, monitoring event registrations, and assisting with daily operations. The work requires strong communication and critical thinking skills and the ability the maintain confidentiality when necessary.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Act as Executive Assistant to the Executive Director.
2. Maintain day to day office functions (i.e., coordinate mailings, order office supplies, maintain alarm system).
3. Prepare meeting notebooks and distribute email agendas for meetings.
4. Work with VML staff on delivery of emails/mailings to VML membership.
5. Monitor and answer main telephone number; communicate with league members; schedule staff appointments; direct inquiries to proper resources; answers questions within context of policies and procedures.
6. Maintain database accuracy and perform audits and updates of database as needed.
7. Maintain and oversee registration for VML Annual conference and other meetings/events.
8. Performs various aspects of general administrative processes such as: customer service, administrative support, accounting and purchasing, data and records management, and human resources; and performs related duties as required.
9. Accepts other duties as assigned and completes such duties in a professional and effective manner.
• High school degree required, some secondary or vocational training preferred.
Required Skills / Experience:
• Excellent communication skills.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office products (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Office365).
• Able to work independently to research and develop solutions to issues related to duties as they arise.
• High tolerance for ambiguity.
• Exemplify the VML Core Values of “Passion for service” “Helpful to all,” “Intellectually Curious,” and “Calm in the storm.”
Preferred Skills / Experience
• Understanding of Virginia state and local government structure and operation.