Accounting Technician I/II (Housing)
James City County’s Social Services Department seeks an individual to perform responsible work maintaining and reviewing financial records and reconciling, assisting in preparing and distributing various financial reports for several federal, state and locally funded housing assistance programs. There are two levels of Accounting Technician distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee.
Accounting Technician I: $34,117 / year or higher DOQ
Accounting Technician II: $36,565 / year or higher DOQ
• Reconciles various payroll and accounting records, verifying accuracy, resolving discrepancies, and initiating necessary corrections; sorts and organizes expenses according to cost categories; checks transactions for appropriateness and adherence to accounting principles.
• Reconciles and uploads financial reports from QuickBooks to the County general ledger system for federal, state and local programs including adjustments and correcting journal entries; prepares monthly reconciliation report; updates QuickBooks with new or revised cost codes.
• Reconciles purchasing card expenses; prints reports and distributes; determines budget codes and enters into purchasing card software; maintains purchase orders and logs approved purchase orders sent to vendors.
• Prepares Report of Collections; enters receipts; reconciles and submits to Treasurer’s Office.
• Assists with preparation of biennial and annual budgets; assists with revisions and provides general technical assistance as required; works closely with supervisor and provides analytical assistance.
• Ensures accurate and timely monthly housing assistance payments to landlords and utility allowance payments to tenants for Housing Choice Voucher and Virginia Homeless Prevention (VHSP) programs; maintains reports and procedures required to ensure accurate billing and tracking of payments made and received; receives, codes, records and transmits loan payments and other payments to the Treasurer; maintains records of all loan payments and accurate balances; and corresponds with borrowers.
• (Accounting Technician II) May serve as lead; may perform fiscal control and accounting work associated with preparation, maintenance eand analysis of reports.