Accounting Technician I/II
James City County Treasurer’s Office seeks an individual to perform responsible work assisting taxpayers, maintaining and processing bills, payments, ledgers, tax information, and complex fiscal or related records. There are two levels of Accounting Technician distinguished by the level of work performed and the qualifications of the employee.
Accounting Technician I: $30,992 / year or higher DOQ
Accounting Technician II: $33,324 / year or higher DOQ
• Post daily activity to ledgers for County and fiscal agencies’ funds, balancing each daily, monthly, and/or annually.
• Process all types of payments received including those received in person, by mail, via the web or electronic fund transfer (EFT) for both County receivables as well as Department of Motor Vehicle (DMV) transaction (in person only).
• Manage data as needed for state or locally mandated ordinances at or above ordinance requirements, to include billing and/or refunding of business and personal taxes based on adjustments by the Commissioner of the Revenue’s Office or other adjustments to accounts.
• Assist taxpayers in person, by telephone and by internet with all manner of inquiries; correspond with taxpayers in a timely manner; serve as liaison between taxpayers and other departments when needed to ensure positive experiences for taxpayers whenever possible.
• Interprets, explains, and applies written materials such as laws, rules, policies, and procedures; keeps current with statute, policy and procedural changes.
• Closes out cash registers for County and DMV; verifies cash drawer and submits money and documentation for further verification.
• (Accounting Technician II): Fulfill balancing duties and act as Lead Cashier in absence of supervisor.