eNews February 5, 2018 – ACTION ALERTMonday, February 05, 2018 - 09:47am
Stormwater/airports bill will be heard Tuesday
|Action needed: Oppose HB1004|
HB1004 (Byron) requires localities to waive stormwater fees for public airport taxiways and runways. The bill will be heard in the House Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resources Subcommittee #3 at its Tuesday, Feb. 6, meeting at 4:00 p.m. If the subcommittee recommends the bill, it will go before the full committee the next morning, Feb. 7, at 8:30 a.m.
Who to contact: Calls are especially needed to members of House Agriculture, Chesapeake and Natural Resources Subcommittee #3 but it is also important to contact the full committee.
- Stormwater utility fees would be waived even if airports made no effort to control stormwater pollution.
- Airports can be major contributors to stormwater runoff.
- If airport fees are waived, those costs will be passed on to other utility ratepayers.
- Localities provide stormwater utility services in order to meet costly federal and state mandates.
- Airports are already eligible for reductions or waivers provided they undertake stormwater reduction strategies.
- Exempting one type of property owner from a utility fee sets a dangerous precedent that will encourage others to seek the same treatment.
VML legislative staff and assignments
Michelle Gowdy – Local government authority, planning and zoning, legal matters, housing, Freedom of Information, telecommunications and technology. email@example.com; 804-523-8525
Janet Areson – Health and human services, and the state budget. firstname.lastname@example.org; 804-523-8522
Mike Polychrones – Environment, land use, natural resources, elections and transportation policy. email@example.com; 804-523-8530
Neal Menkes – Taxation and finance, the state budget, transportation funding, retirement, education funding and community and economic development. firstname.lastname@example.org; 804-523-8523
Roger Wiley (under contract) – Courts, criminal law, civil law, and procurement. email@example.com; 804-780-3143
Chris LaGow (under contract) –Insurance and workers’ compensation. firstname.lastname@example.org; 804-225-8570