eNews Feb. 12, 2019 – Action AlertTuesday, February 12, 2019 - 12:18pm
Please make calls today on checkbook bill!
On the docket for the 7:15 a.m. meeting on Wednesday, Feb. 13
SB1262 requires localities with over 25,000 population and each school division with over 5,000 students to post on their website a register of all funds expended in a specified format. The register must include the vendor name, date of payment, amount and a description of the type of expense. The requirement includes credit card purchases.
- The requirements of the bill are so detailed that even localities and school divisions that already post their checkbooks on their websites may not meet the requirements of the bill.
- Localities and school divisions may have to change accounting software and systems. If they do, it will be expensive.
- Last year when similar legislation was introduced, one locality that posts its checkbook on line had 216 interactions in an 8-month period; only 10 were from the United States and most were from Russia.
- Administrative time will be required to ensure that confidential information is not displayed.
- All expenditures and related information are already available through a locality’s budget or through the FOIA process, unless an exemption applies.
VML Contact: Michelle Gowdy, firstname.lastname@example.org