There are three levels of achievement in the Leadership Academy.
Level 1: Local Government Basics
Level 1 focuses on education and the basics of local government. Courses are designed to develop and enrich expertise in fundamental areas of local governance.
Level 1 of the Leadership Academy requires 40 credits. Participants must complete 25 credits of core courses and 15 credits in elective courses.
Core Courses (25 credits needed)
- Institute for Local Government (ILO) – all-day instructional conference, offered yearly, that provides the necessary basics for Virginia local government officials (10 credits).
- Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) (5 credits)
- Conflict of Interests Act (COIA) (5 credits)
- Paying for municipal services: Revenue & Budgeting (5 credits)
Elective Courses (15 credits needed)
Each year, the VML Leadership Academy will offer a variety of elective courses. Credit for each course will be granted based upon the subject matter and the number of hours of training offered. Typical subject matter is not limited to but will include the following:
- Comprehensive Planning, Capital Improvement Programs, and Zoning
- Community Image/Reputation
- Public Engagement/Purpose
Level 2: Advance Training
Participants must complete Level 1 before entering Level 2. This level of the VLA focuses on continuing education and enhancing the participation of local officials in League and other government-related where you represent the locality on a regional basis.
After achieving the 40 credits required for Level 1, participants must complete 40 additional credits to complete Level 2. Level 2 includes 15 credits of required participation and 25 credits of elective courses.
Required Courses / Participation (15 credits needed, choose three)
- Transportation (mobility)
- Economic Development
- Workforce Development
- Aging Infrastructure
Elective Courses (25 credits needed)
Each year, the VML Leadership Academy offers a variety of elective courses. Credit for each course will be granted based upon the subject matter and the number of hours of training offered. Also, attendance at League events such as VML Day at the Capitol and the Finance Forum will offer an opportunity for elective credit.
Level 3: Leadership
Level 3 of the VLA focuses on developing effective partnerships and serving as a leader in the local government professionals’ community.
In addition to the 80 credits required to achieve Level 1 and Level 2, participants must complete 30 additional leadership credits to complete Level 3.
Leadership Positions (30 credits required)
- Serve as an officer of a League-affiliated association
- Attend Virginia Mayors Institute
- Testify before the Virginia General Assembly
- Publish an article on a local government issue
- Attend NLC national conference
- Serve on an NLC policy/steering committee
- Exchange program with other local government
- Present to local school children
- Facilitate a joint meeting between city and county or school
- Conduct a training/workshop
Upon request, credit may be accepted for prior League participation on a case-by-case basis. Also, fees will be charged for each of these various training opportunities to assist with the costs associated to provide this much-needed training for all member localities.